To start, I must give credit where credit is due. I didn’t create this slide. The slide was created by Shawn Achor, who has a PhD from Harvard where he teaches positive psychology concepts. He is also author of the book “The Happiness Advantage.” His TED Talk: The Happy Secret to Better Work is one of the most entertaining and insightful talks I have ever seen.
While most of the bullet points on the slide are self-explanatory, I will give a brief description of each below. They are, essentially, actions you should take to increase happiness.
- 3 Gratitudes – Write down every day three things you are grateful for.
- Journaling – Start a journal and write down on a regular basis your thoughts or feelings.
- Exercise – Get moving… Period!
- Meditation – Proven to decrease stress, this is a good one. There are many helpful apps out there that provide guided meditation exercises, but this can be as simple as sitting and paying attention to your breaths for 5 to 15 minutes a day.
- Random Acts of Kindness – Look for ways to do kind things. Preferably ,spur of the moment things. If you have never bought coffee for the person behind you at the Starbucks drive though. Try it sometme. You will be shocked at how good you feel the rest of the day.
The best part about the 5 items above, there is actually research to back them up. So these are not just ideas, they are proven steps for increasing happiness. Try them out for a few days and leave a comment about your experience.
This could be the clear path to Smiling Big and Dreaming Bigger.